Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers won the NFC West last season, but will the Seahawks overtake them this year?
AFC West Prediction:
Why they will win? The 49ers have one of the best defenses in the NFL, and they may be even stronger this season. And even though they have lost WR Michael Crabtree to an Achilles injury, the offense will still be potent led by QB Colin Kaepernick and RB Frank Gore. The addition of WR Anquan Boldin should soften the blow of losing Crabtree some. But ultimately, I believe that Jim Harbaugh is the best head coach in the division, and his leadership will be the reason the 49ers repeat as NFC West champs.
2. Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks brought in a lot of extra talent in the off-season, but the headliner WR Percy Harvin is out with a shoulder injury. The hawks were looking for Harvin to add an explosive element to the passing game to go long with QB Russell Wilson. I still think the Seahawks will challenge for the division title, but I think the 49ers are still the better team.
3. St. Louis Rams: The Rams also added an explosive element to their offense by drafting speedster Tavon Austin in the first round of the draft. QB Sam Bradford has lacked weapons since he arrived in St. Louis, and now that he has them it’s a make or break season for him. The Rams defense is good and should keep them in games, but their playoff hopes rest on Bradford and the offense.
4. Arizona Cardinals: New Head coach Bruce Arians takes over in Arizona, and he has brought Carson Palmer in to be his QB. Arians is well-known for his ability as a QB coach, and Palmer should be effective in Arians offense, especially with Larry Fitzgerald to throw to. However, the other three teams defenses in the NFC West might be too much to overcome for the Cardinals.
- 49ers LB Patrick Willis out with hand injury (nbcsports.com)
- Percy Harvin to require Surgery (thasportsjunkies101.wordpress.com)
- The NFC West – Don’t Look Now, But… (turfshowtimes.com)
- Smash-Mouth West Coast Football (samhorn.org)